Sunday, June 15, 2008

Horsetail Falls...Revisited Twice+...and a Bear?!

1010Beware, this is a long and somewhat hard-to-follow post. I realize that. But, I feel compelled to write all of this. Remember, you don't have to read it! :-)

We have done a bit a hiking the last few weeks. We have hiked up to Horsetail twice more with friends, so rather than posted two different posts, I am combining them into two.

The first time we went back up with mom, Jessica & most of the kids and The Spencers & and their kids. Wow...did we have a great time! We caught cicadas and grasshoppers, found wild onions, and one of the kids even ate a grasshopper! Thanks to those who went with us...it's always more fun with friends and family!

The second time we went with a friend from work, Shelly, and her 5 year-old daughter. And again, we had a great time! We didn't see as many cicadas, but the grasshoppers were plentiful. Little Ada was a real trooper. She is so into horses. I feel bad we didn't get to see any this trip.

So, the "plus" and the bear is like this...
Hannah decided to take her dad back up the next day. That's the plus. Too funny! She loves this hike...still not her favorite, but she loves it. I was at work. :-( About 10am they call me to tell me they had just seen a bear cub. For those of you who don't know my ex-husband...quite the jokester. I really thought they were kidding. But after a few seconds, I could tell he wasn't. Anyway, long story short, they did come back down. They didn't want to come between momma and cub. Brad also remembered that I am a little hypersensitive about the bear thing...

Most of you will remember the bear attack we had up American Fork canyon last year. My family and I were up the canyon during that whole thing. I have never been afraid of sleeping in my tent. In fact, we actually prefer it...at least we did. The following night after the attack, I knew would be a little hard for me...I'll admit, I was a little spooked. And I knew better, but...
So after not sleeping very great, I knew that I would sleep better that second night. (I still went to bed with my mace...) I hadn't been in my tent for more that 1/2 hour when I could hear something rummaging around. My sister, whom shall remain nameless...JODI...left her cooler out...by OUR tent. I got my mace ready and my flashlight and quietly unzipped my tent. Sure enough, little beady eyes staring right at me! I know you all think this is silly, and my smart side said is was too, but I think I had my first and hopefully last panic attack. Anyway, I woke mom, who was also in a tent, and we found my brother -in-law, who we knew had a gun. Long story short, it was a raccoon. We slept in my parents van the rest of the "camping" trip.

Side note: I don't often talk about my "singleness"....it seems to be a source of jokes for my family and co-workers, so why give them any more ammo. I have prided myself in knowing that we have been camping by ourselves before and been just fine. (Although, I know it bothers mom.) But I did return to work and let them know what I had learned-one, I needed a man, and two, I needed a man WITH A TRAILER! They are still looking!

Anyway, here are the pictures from the hikes! Thanks for all of those who we have gone with...it really is one of our favorite things to do!


No comments: