Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Monarch Butterfly Update!

So, after a little worry...our egg, Alex, hatched today! Yeah! I always have a little anxiety wondering if they will hatch or not...and you know what...they almost always do. I guess I should stop worrying. And today is significant for us...well...my sister! Happy Birthday, Jess! We sure do love you! (One of these days I will post Hannah's Person of the Year assignment from school. It is sooo cute. She chose Jessica! In fact, if I had been more on the ball, today would have been very appropriate. Oh, well! I won't give it all away now, though.) Anyway, Happy Birthday, Alex! Here are a few pictures! Oh, another caterpillar side note-Hannah called me at work yesterday to inform me that she, and the cute gal that "watches" her on Tuesdays, found 6 caterpillars! Oh my! I love them, and we don't want them to die, but WOW! I was a little concerned about keeping these little creatures alive and happy for the next few weeks. But, she was so proud of herself! (As amazing and fun as this process is, it can get a little nerve racking...anyone who has done this knows! Fortunately, we found the last one a home tonight!) Without further adieu...
This shows the eggs just about 12 hours or so before hatching...it turns dark...I took this picture last night.
If you look close, you can see Alex...right next to the hatched egg. I took this at 9:30 this morning...This is a big as I can get the picture on my blog, but if you can open it up larger, it is a pretty good picture of him/her! This is one of the caterpillars that we adopted out (I think yours, Bethany)...I don't like to handle them when they are this little(in fact, you shouldn't), but since I had to take it off the milkweed to put it on another to be adopted out, I took this...This little one is about 3 or 4 days old...they grow sooo fast...really! You wouldn't believe it!

3 comments:

Carrie Anne said...

your mom just took us to find some today...SO COOL! i love that you post about it b/c then i know what to do & look for.
we love the bees games, too!

Ammie G said...

I think my is a dud! it still has not come out of the gray little egg. I might have to call you in a few days for a new one. I will give the little dude some more days before I really call him a dud.

katik said...

Brings back great memories of our butterflies last year. My kids loved it so much! I'm so tempted to do it again this year but know I'll have my hands full already. Darn it! We'll just have to live vicariously through your blog. Thanks!