Saturday, July 5, 2008

Happy 4th of July!

I love this country, I love my family, and I love this day! A few years ago we sat around talking about whether or not we wanted to go sleep out and fight the crowds to get a good seat for the parade over in Provo. After much grumbling, someone (I actually think it was me) suggested letting the kids have a parade down mom's street. We were all there anyway for lunch and the Slip-n-slide. So we did! And I tell you what-it has been soooo fun. The kids come dressed in whatever they whatever they want and march and dance and do magic tricks and tell jokes and rides bikes & scooters. We do have a little twist on it. We throw candy at them. There really hasn't been enough spectators to justify throwing candy to them. I think the first year we did it, we had around 3 people who came. Boy, how we've grown! This year we actually had some of the grandkids from our neighbors come out and participate. Then we sing at the end. Oh, how this parade makes me laugh! Kinda of white trashy-but I was telling my sister-in-law that I like that we are just white trashy enough to be interesting! And we do know how to entertain ourselves. One more thing about the parade-our Grand Marshall this year was my sister, Jessica. I mentioned this before, but Hannah had a school project to come up with a "Person of the Year". She nominated Jessica. Too cute. She did say to me, "Mom, are you sad I didn't nominate you?" Heck no! Let me tell you something...Jessica really should be "Person of the Year". Some of the reasons why Hannah nominated her-She has 7 children, she is pretty, her kids keep her company, she is caring, she cooks a hot meal almost every night (and really great meals), she loves her & vice versa and she used to be a super-great pogo-stick jumper. I get a little weepy! She really is sooo great! Love you, Jess! And yeah for Hannah because she noticed! Here is a clip of the parade. Sorry about the quality...I get a little sidetracked sometimes...




Here a pictures from the rest of the day, which included lunch, Slip-n-slide (of course), and fireworks. We really do have a great time! God bless the USA!






AND, for the grand finale...

I am so proud of myself...I made a little movie. I was going nuts trying to figure out why I couldn't flip my video clips. On my quest, I discovered a few more things...I was so excited. Hannah finally said, "Ok, I'll come watch it." When it was over she said, "Well, it could have been a little longer." Lol. Maybe I will redo the parade clip...at least it would be longer. Drum roll please...

3 comments:

Sadie said...

Yeah! I love the video! I also love the slip and slide!

Emily S. said...

Wow! I have said it before and I will say it again - your family does the coolest things! You are making memories that will last a lifetime for your kids. I feel privileged just knowing you all :-)

Carrie Anne said...

okay...so not white trashy and i wish we would've known so we could come throw candy and see jessica as the grand marshall! that is the coolest/funnest/awesomest idea ever! and i know christy! i don't know if she'll remember me, but we did the byu research study with the handcart trek with her...james and i did it the week before we married 7 years ago! ask her if she remembers carrie rahm and james rhodes..she'd probably recognize our faces! i love that she married into your family because you are the coolest family and she is super duper cool! what a fun 4th celebration!