Sunday, July 13, 2008

Lucky Update...



Hannah came home from her dad's to practice piano for a little bit yesterday. When she was there, I asked her to check on the caterpillars. She called me at work to inform me all was well. WEEEELLLL...when I got home from work (around 10:00pm), Lucky was gone. Now remember, Lucky was the one we found in the wild...he/she was already pretty big. I should have known that he/she was going to wander off. They do that when they are ready make their chrysalis...they are searching for a place to "hang" from. Kind of my own fault. I should have been more prepared. Anyway, after a bit of mild freaking out, I called Hannah & Brad. Of course, they came to help me look for Lucky. (Brad didn't see what the big deal was, but Hannah did. "Dad, just get in the car!"-Thanks Brad!) Hannah is sooo good with these critters. She has a 6th sense-caterpillar/egg sense. Anyway, she hadn't been home for more than 30 seconds, "Here he is." The little critter had crawled off his milkweed, down off the table, and back up under a chair. I woke up a few times last night to check on him...anyway, good news. He is in his "J". He started to hang about 6:30pm. So we will have a chrysalis tomorrow morning...about 12-15 hours or so. This "J" time is the most fragile for them. Once they are in a chrysalis, they are much easier. And just for the record, they are a little to handle when they are this big, but we still don't like to. We did just because he was going to be safer...otherwise, he would have become a kitty toy!

1 comment:

Carrie Anne said...

one of mine was crawling out of its place, so i had to call your mom on what i should do! thank goodness you guys are such pros at caterpillar hunting/care taking!:) then i thought one of the caterpillars died, but alas, both are now in their chrysalis form...so incredible!