If you're from this area, you've probably heard of Hope of America. If not, hear is the low-down. Over 7,000 kids from 60 schools around Utah County showcase what they have learned about American values thru patriotic dance and music. Every 5th grader in the county has the opportunity to participate in the chorus while others dance. This is the 13th year for Hope of America, but our first. Hannah and her 4th grade got to dance during the song, The United States of America, which highlighted some of our 50 states. Hannah was a Hawaiian girl. It's funny. I was little embarrassed by how often I had a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes. I specifically didn't sit down last night and post this because I thought I would better composed this morning. But I'm not really. I have always been a little soft when it comes to patriotism. We are so lucky! And I know you know that. But stop and think about what it means to be an American and what life is for us because we live here. What if we didn't live here? What if we couldn't go to school? What if we couldn't go to church? What if we couldn't choose our profession? What if we had to work?(Well, you get what I mean.) What if we couldn't leave to enjoy other people or countries? What if they couldn't come here? What if we couldn't vote? What if we couldn't talk to our friends? What if? I know there will always be things that, even as Americans, we disagree on. It's hard not to see those differences during and election year. But I am proud to be an American. Even with our differences. I am grateful for those freedoms that we enjoy. I am grateful for those before me who fought for those freedoms. I am grateful for those who still fight. And I am grateful for elementary school kids who reminded me! Anyway...this was a free performance. Because of that, there was quite a crowd. But, even after the small inconveniences of parking and seating...this was such a great evening! I'm glad that Hannah lives in a place where she has the opportunity to participate in such a memorable event. Below are a few pictures and a clip from the event. I apologize in advance for the quality. I failed to take my video camera, so the clips are coming from my camera, which isn't the greatest for video. And as far as the pictures...I don't know. I think it was just too dark and too far.


3 comments:
Don't worry - I was emotional too. The patriotism got to me but also seeing all those kids sitting together and thinking about the future and the "hope of America."
Jamie,
I love your Hope of America pictures - did you take the pictures of the 5th grade flag? I would love to get a copy.
I love that I get to check your blog!!!! Its so fun! Hannah did so well this weekend, let her know how proud I am of her!
Post a Comment