Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Newbery Medal Winners

While I was compiling a list of recent books I have read, I realized some of the books I had read were because Banana is involved with the Newbery Program at school. Between 4th & 6th grades, if a child reads 50 Newbery Winners (not runner-ups), they receive a little trophy, $50, and their name on a plaque in the library. But, the child can't read more than 25 the last year. So last summer, thanks to my super-oopider "daughter entertainers"-The Rhoton Ladies (I don't know what I would do without them and I wouldn't have known about this program last summer-Oh! Those Rhotons are another post. I guess I will have to get their permission first. Everyone should be as lucky to know the Rhotons)-they started Hannah on her Newbery Journey. A great goal and here is Hannah's progress.
2004-The Tale of Despereaux
2000-Bud, Not Buddy
1993-Missing May-just finishing up
1992-Shiloh
1991-Maniac Magee
1990-Number the Stars
1987-The Whipping Boy
1986-Sarah, Plain and Tall
1972-Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh
1970-Sounder
1963-A Wrinkle in Time
1961-Island of the Blue Dolphins
1952-Ginger Pye
1945-Rabbit Hill
1942-The Matchlock Gun
1941-Call It Courage

Way to go, Hannah!

There isn't a bad one in this bunch. Although, I am partial to The Tale of Despereaux, Bud, Not Buddy, and Number the Stars. Last I talked with Hannah, her favorites were Ginger Pye and Call It Courage. Thanks to Mrs. Ruesch for knowing Hannah well enough to guide her in her selection of books!

2 comments:

Emily S. said...

Wow - you posting maniac! I really think it is cool that Hannah is going for this goal. Really admirable. I consider it for Addie sometimes but I think we might be starting to late. I don't think she has quite the reading stamina that Hannah does.

Melissa said...

Hope you will come to bookclub soon! It's fun!! :)